In addition to healthy foods, there are several types of vitamins for freshwater and saltwater fish that will give their skin a healthy glow, strengthen their teeth, improve their overall health, make their hair longer and silkier. … OK that last one is only for humans and maybe dogs, but the rest is all believed to be very true.
Just like any other living organism, fish need nutrients, and a varied diet can provide them with much of the nutrition they need. Without the proper nutrition, fish can suffer from stunted growth or a weakened immune system. If they can’t fully obtain the appropriate amount of nutrients from the foods they eat or from their natural ecosystem, aquarium owners can try giving them fish vitamins to help complete their diet.
Types of Vitamins for Freshwater and Saltwater Fish
For humans, the vitamin aisle is completely overwhelming. Fortunately, the pet store has only a small selection of vitamins for freshwater and saltwater fish. You can also order vitamins online.
Following are common brands of fish vitamins you might encounter, as described by Doctors Foster and Smith.
• Selcon Concentrate, made by American Marine: Intended only for marine fish, this “food booster” includes Omega-3 fatty acids, vitamin B12, and vitamin C.
• Kent Marine: Kent Marine manufactures several types of fish vitamins.
○ Kent Marine Garlic Xtreme: If garlic is one of the healthiest superfoods on Earth for humans and can even fight off vampires, imagine what it can do for tiny little fish. This supplement is intended to give fish superpowers with a greater ability to fight off infection, disease, parasites, bacteria, and fungi. It’s safe for all species of marine and freshwater fish, as well as plants, coral, and other invertebrates. It also could increase their appetite, so it’s ideal for super fish that need to build up that muscle.
○ Kent Marine-C: This is essentially a vitamin C supplement for marine aquarium fish and invertebrates. In addition to enhancing vitamin intake, Kent Marine-C can be used as somewhat of a natural remedy for sick fish.
○ Kent Marine Zoe Marine: This algae-based supplement contains vitamins, amino acids, and minerals for marine aquarium fish.
● Seachem: Seachem also makes different vitamin supplements for fish.
○ Seachem Garlic Guard: Providing similar benefits as Garlic Xtreme, Seachem Garlic Guard is an antioxidant and contains vitamin C. It can be used for freshwater fish, saltwater fish, and planted and reef aquariums.
○ Seachem Reef Plus: Suitable only for coral reef aquariums, this supplement is formulated to provide fish with nutrients naturally found in natural tropical reefs. It includes vitamin C, vitamin B12, amino acids, and fatty acids.
● Vita-Chem, made by Boyd Enterprises: Different solutions are available, one for freshwater fish and another for saltwater/marine environments. This product brings out the colors of fish, regenerates fins, increases growth, and combats disease. It contains many extracts, as well as amino acids and a high level of vitamin C. It can even restore appetite and stimulate mating and breeding instincts.
● Brightwell Aquatics: In addition to a wide range of products for aquariums and fish health, Brightwell Aquatics offers three vitamins:
○ Vitamarin-C: This highly concentrated vitamin C solution is intended to improve tissue growth and aid the immune system. The supplement can be used for all marine fish and reef aquaria.
○ Vitamarin-F: A multi-vitamin supplement for freshwater fish and motile invertebrates, Vitamarin-F is useful when preparing fishes for spawning.
○ Vitamarin-M: This multi-vitamin for marine fish and reef aquaria provides a full complement of vitamins that would be found in reef inhabitants’ environments.
Ask Us Which Fish Vitamins We Would Recommend
If you believe your livestock could benefit from their use, ask us about vitamins for freshwater and saltwater fish. We can help you choose the right formula for your home or office aquarium. Contact us through our Seatech Aquariums website or by phone at (602) 628-7270.